Women's political participation: a fundamental prerequisite for gender equality, democracy and achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
In September 2015, 193 Member States of the United Nations unanimously adopted a new global agenda to end poverty by 2030 and pursue a sustainable future for all. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (SDGs) includes a specific goal to achieve gender equality, which aims to end discrimination and violence against women and girls and ensure equal participation and opportunities in all spheres of life.
Advancing women’s political participation is crucial for delivering on the SDGs. That is why one of the Targets for Goal 5 is to “Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic and public life” (SDG Target 5.5).
This online discussion aims to consult various stakeholders about their experiences of using the Agenda as roadmap and instrument to ensure that women's political participation is maximized, at global, national and local levels. It will run from 09 January to 12 February 2017 and will be moderated on this page. International organisations, civil society organisations, government representatives and academia are invited to contribute with their expertise and experiences, and answer to one or more of the below outlined questions. Contributions highlighting innovative partnerships and accountability mechanisms established to deliver on Target 5.5. are encouraged. The iKNOW Politics team and partners are looking forward to an informative knowledge-sharing exercise on this topic.
Please click here to read the full concept note of this e-Discussion.
Click here to access the consolidated reply.
- Who are the key actors involved in delivering on the Agenda in your country?
- What is the role of national and local governments in localizing Target 5.5.?
- What are some of the key challenges for countries to deliver on implementation and monitoring of Target 5.5.?
- What measures are being taken to align national laws and development plans with Target 5.5.? What accountability and implementation measures are in place? By whom are these measures taken?
- What is the role of civil society organizations in the implementation and monitoring of Target 5.5, specifically? Are there consultation mechanism to foster dialogue with governments and international bodies?
- Are you aware of any country-specific / regional projects or trainings to advance Target 5.5.?
Please note that there are different options to send your contributions:
- Login with your iKNOW Politics member credentials. If you are not a member yet, please sign up using the profile icon on the top right of this page. Please check your email to confirm registration. Once a member, you will be able to use the comment section. Comments will wait for the approval of the iKNOW Politics Team.
- Use the below comment section by signing in with one of your social media accounts.
- Send your contributions to email@example.com