Senator Oluremi Tinubu represents Lagos Central Senatorial District on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). An educationist, administrator, philanthropist and Officer of the Order of the Niger, she was the exemplary First Lady of Lagos State between 1999 and 2007, during which period she founded the New Era Foundation; a non-profit organisation, dedicated to youth development, girl-child education, women empowerment and inspiring young persons to excellence.
Over the years, this forthright role model has made tremendous impact in the lives of several people and institutions within and outside Nigeria. Included here are:
* Annual Spelling Bee competition to raise educational standards, and; gave birth to the Annual One-Day Governor programme, which has produced many First Class university graduates.
* Alternative High School for Girls to help young ladies who dropped out of school due to early pregnancy, to complete their high school education.
* Endowment Funds in four universities; School Building constructed at the Oluremi Tinubu Elementary and Junior High School, Johnsonville, Mount Serrador County, Liberia; Science Block for Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo; considerable donation towards the building of the National Sickle Cell Centre; donation of her entire 50th birthday monetary gifts to social causes.
As Senator, she hosts a quarterly Town Hall Meeting with her constituents, to render accounts of her stewardship and obtain feed-backs on their developmental needs. To date, she has sponsored three bills: to provide Social Security for Elderly Citizens; seek the Amendment of the Labour Act, to enhance employment opportunities for women, and; a Bill to provide Special Economic Assistance to Lagos State in view of its status as a former capital city and the commercial capital of Nigeria.
Her constituency development initiatives include:
- Post-Secondary School Scholarship Scheme [PSSS] –Annual disbursement of N100, 000 to 26 beneficiaries for four years, and 624 students of tertiary institutions receive N10, 000 as book bursaries.
- Grants to help 650 beneficiaries within her constituency to re-capitalize their businesses.
- Provision of maintenance grants to alleviate the plight of the elderly(Elderly Citizen Assistance Scheme).
- Sponsorship of Youth Empowerment and Skills Acquisition Scheme (YESAS) to enable more youth in her constituency to become economically productive and self-employed.
- Helped secure N377m funding from the Tertiary Education Trust Fund [TETFUND] for three institutions – Sir Michael Otedola College of Primary Education (N109m); Lagos State University (N108m), and Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education (N160m).
- Through the Senate Committee on Education, she obtainedFederal support for the rehabilitation of Jibowu Junior High School, Yaba [N21 million], Banjo Primary School, Otumara-Ilogbo, Ebute-Metta [N20 million] as well as N15 million each for Holy Trinity Primary School, Ebute-Ero, Ansar Ud-Deen Primary School, Oke-Popo and Ire-Akari Primary School, Orile-Iganmu.