This week is taking place in Geneva (Switzerland) the 133rd Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union. The agenda of the assembly includes the following points:
- Election of the President and Vice-Presidents of the 133rd Assembly.
- Consideration of requests for the inclusion of an emergency item in the Assembly agenda.
- General debate on the theme ‘The moral and economic imperative for fairer, smarter and more human migration’.
- Democracy in the digital era and the threat to privacy and individual freedoms.
- Reports of the Standing Committee on Peace and International Security; Sustainable Development, Finance and Trade; and on United Nations Affairs.
- Approval of the subject item for the Standing Committee on Democracy and Human Rights at the 135th IPU Assembly and appointment of the Rapporteurs.
The 133rd Assembly will be opened by the President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union, Mr. Saber Chowdhury, in Room 1 of the Centre international de Conférences de Genève (CICG) at its first sitting on Sunday, 18 October at 11am. The plenary sittings of the Assembly and its Standing Committees, as well as the meetings of the IPU Governing Council, the Meeting of Women Parliamentarians, the Committee on the Human Rights of Parliamentarians, and the meetings of the Association of Secretaries General of Parliaments (ASGP) will also be held at the ‘Centre international de Conférences de Genève’. The meeting of the Sub-Committee on Finance as well as the first two days of the Executive Committee meetings will take place at IPU Headquarters.
The Assembly includes specific agendas for each of Standing Committee, including the SC on Peace and International Security, the SC on Sustainable Development, Finance and Trade, the SC on Democracy and Human Rights, and the SC on United Nations Affairs. In addition, the Special Event ‘2015 Future Policy Awards Ceremony “The Rights of Children”’ will also take place within the Assembly.