The objectives of the evaluation synthesis are to:
• Examine experiences in mainstreaming gender equality across multilateral and bilateral donor organizations, and in so doing,
• Highlight trends (commonalities and differences) in findings, challenges faced and good practices
- Leadership has not consistently supported or prioritized the mainstreaming of gender equality and policy, resulting in what has become widely described as "policy evaporation."
- The absence of accountability and incentive structures has limited the achievement of results.
- Financial and human resources have not been sufficient to enable effective mainstreaming of gender equality within donor organizations and interventions
- Many gender mainstreaming procedures and practices have been introduced and actively pursued for a short period, before gradually declining in use.
- Results reporting and learning have been seriously constrained by inconsistent approaches to monitoring and evaluation
- Integrating gender equality into new aid modalities presents many new challenges to donor organizations.