|The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes. International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA’s notable areas of expertise are: electoral processes, political parties, constitution-building processes, democracy and gender and democracy assessments. International IDEA works worldwide. It is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in Brussels, New York, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Main functions of the post:
The main functions of the post are:
- To coordinate and implement the project activities of the ACE Electoral Knowledge Network in its hybrid format as mandated by the ACE Steering Board;
- To report on progress to the ACE Steering Board and to the ACE Program Advisory Board in terms of policy and program quality assurance issues, and identify and follow up on fundraising opportunities;
- To lead the Electoral Processes programme Hub on “Existing Knowledge Resources and Spin-off products for 50% of the working time;
- To provide electoral processes’ input to activities implemented by other IDEA teams (e.g. on illicit funding, gender)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the immediate supervision of the Senior Programme Manager, Electoral Processes, the incumbent performs the following duties:
In collaboration with the ACE Steering Board, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Develop and implement the ACE Electoral Knowledge Network programme activities;
- Coordinate the work of personnel identified by the ACE Steering Board;
- Develop substantive narrative reports on a monthly and annual basis to the ACE Steering Board and to the ACE Programme Advisory Board on progress toward meeting project objectives;
- Liaise with ACE partner organisations (through the ACE Steering Board and Programme Advisory Board) and other stakeholders to inspire their active participation in the activities of the ACE Electoral Knowledge Network;
- Report on programme and financial activities to the donor/s and partners;
- Actively seek and pursue fundraising opportunities for the ACE Electoral Knowledge Network as mandated by the ACE Steering Board;
- Design and coordinate implementation strategies for meeting program objectives;
- Coordinate partner inputs and facilitate consensus building;
- With the approval of ACE Partners, design and negotiate programme proposals and funding agreements to complement core programme activities, including coordinating and reporting on such programmes;
- Maintain and expand the ACE Network’s global dimension through coordinating the Practitioners Network’s activities in function of partners’ staff allocation;
- Coordinate participation in relevant global, regional and national workshops and conferences;
- Implement all decisions of the ACE Steering Board;
- Coordinate the content produced by the ACE Network, ensuring that its quality always meets required standards, supervising content development, systematic storage, accessibility, translation, potential application and re-application;
- Draft programme work plans and budgets within her/his areas of responsibility;
- Organise and participate in ACE Steering Board meetings and other relevant events;
In regard to the Electoral Processes Programme:
- Create mechanisms for the widespread dissemination of information on fundamental electoral concepts in order to build capacity and enhance the ability of electoral stakeholders to participate in political processes and ultimately inform the electoral process around the world;
- Lead the planning, budgeting and implementation of the Electoral Processes programme Hub on “Existing Knowledge Resources and Spin-off products”;
- Take up any other duty as assigned by the Senior Programme Manager, Electoral Processes;
- Actively integrate a gender perspective in all activities;
- Comply with International IDEA’s administration, finance and human resource policies. Ensure compliance with other partners’ equivalent policies in case of ACE staff contributions made by other partners.
Qualifications and skills:
Level and type of formal education:
University degree in Political Science, Law, Development Studies or a related subject.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience supporting electoral institutions and processes in an international environment;
- Five (5) years’ experience at global or regional policy level of an election unit of an organization;
- Field experience such as in Latin America, Africa, Asia-Pacific or the Arab World preferably in the areas of electoral processes, local governance, and/or participatory democracy would be an asset;
- Good general knowledge of current issues of political reform and democratisation as well as specific challenges in the international election arena, such as election observation, best practice, technical assistance and capacity development,
- Experience in the development of knowledge resources;
- Experience in organizing events.
- Excellent negotiation, conflict resolution, diplomacy and advocacy skills;
- Ability to build and enthuse partnerships and networks towards the effective agreement and achievement of objectives;
- Ability to groom and foster an extensive network of contacts at the level of international, regional and national election organisations;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including the ability to present complex political/technical issues to non-expert audiences;
- Good understanding and appreciation of gender issues related to electoral processes;
- Fund-raising and budgeting skills;
- Excellent analytical, drafting, editing and problem solving skills;
- Good sense of initiative, ability to set priorities and work under pressure with accuracy and dedication.
English: Fluent writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including Excel);
- Good knowledge of the use and management of databases;
- Knowledge of Project Management Tools such as Maconomy would be an asset;
- Knowledge of Internet-based communication, research and knowledge dissemination mechanisms is essential.
Terms of Contract:
Thirteen (13) months Fixed Term Appointment. Salary entry point EUR 4 679 net, per month.
Deadline for Applications:
Applications should be submitted no later than 30 October 2014
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.