Violence against women in politics is not only an intolerable violation of women’s human rights and civil rights but a fundamental challenge to democracy and sustainable development. The 2020 International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women is a moment to raise awareness of the threat of gender-based violence affecting women engaged in politics, and specific policy solutions or remedies identified by organizations working in this field.
The Kofi Annan Foundation and the IPU are organizing a solutions-oriented discussion to evaluate successful policy responses and promote their urgent adoption.
- Ms Carmen Alanis, Former Chief Justice, Mexico Electoral Tribunal
- Ms. Anita Bhatia, Deputy Executive Director, UN Women
- Mr. Martin Chungong, Secretary General of the IPU
- Ms. Hilary Gbedemah, Chairperson of the CEDAW Committee
- Ms. Katrín Jakobsdóttir (TBC), Prime Minister of Iceland
- Ms. Corinne Momal-Vanian, Executive Director, Kofi Annan Foundation
For further information, please click here.