International IDEA’s West Asia and North Africa programme began in 2011 and has been working to support women in politics since as the objective of gender equality is indivisible from International IDEA’s goal of sustainable democracy worldwide. This is of particular importance in the context of the transitions to representative democracy throughout much of the West Asia and North Africa Region.
While many political developments have occurred throughout the WANA region over recent years, great strides still need to be taken to ensure that women see an equal place in the processes of representative democracy. This half of society still has a long struggle ahead to achieve equal rights and opportunities. Nevertheless, the on-going wave of political change across the region presents a unique opportunity for women and men in this region to engage in serious and constructive discussions on women’s political participation and representation. The time for empowering Arab women and for identifying, discussing and for overcoming institutional barriers for women’s political participation and representation, has never been more opportune.
The primary objectives under this assignment are to:
- Implement the joint IDEA/NIMD project ‘Respect for Women’s Political Rights: Fostering Political Environments for Equal Participation and Leadership of Women in Political Parties’ (Respect for Women’s Rights)
- Provide programmatic support and advice on gender for activities in Tunisia and to the WANA team as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the immediate supervision of the WANA Acting Director/ Programme Manager, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Manages the implementation of activities and budgets under the IDEA/NIMD project ‘Respect for Women’s Rights’;
- Implementation of activities on gender mainstreaming within the Tunisian Election Management Body;
- Implementation of activities regarding the observation of electoral processes from a gender perspective;
- Identifies strategies and opportunities to support women’s participation in positions of power and decision making in Tunisia and throughout the region;
- Contributes to the design, development and implementation of WANA’s work on gender by providing substantive input to the conceptualization and planning of regional and national programme activities, including proposal and budget preparation and budget management;
- Provides analysis and technical guidance on key regional trends and political developments in the field of Democracy and Gender;
- Develops funding proposals for resources mobilization and liaises and/or negotiates with donors as authorized by the line manager;
- Oversees programme staff and consultants;
- Provides support to the regular monitoring and impact assessment of project activities;
- Contributes to programming under IDEA’s Key Impact Areas (including but not limited to Electoral Processes, Constitution Building Processes and Political Participation and Representation) as needed;
- Contributes to the development of quarterly and annual reports by the WANA programme, as well as any other occasional and/or activity reports as needed;
- Works in accordance with IDEA’s Strategy, Gender Policy and principles of Results Based Management (RBM);
- Maintains collaborative working relations and partnerships with the national and international counterparts and relevant institutions, including donors, and collaborates with other International IDEA offices and programmes;
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the line manager or any person designated by her/him.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills and significant experience in their field;
- Contributes to assigned projects with authority, and provides policy analysis and design as appropriate;
- Contributes to publications; is recognized as an expert in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Fluency in Arabic, English; Working knowledge of French is desirable;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Acting Regional Director / Programme Manager
- Has expert knowledge and extensive work experience in the field of gender and democracy, combined with excellent understanding of related disciplines (including electoral processes, constitution building processes and political participation and representation processes) in order to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design , management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in Tunisia and across the West Asia and North Africa Region;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Some people management responsibility over permanent staff is expected;
- Management of consultants;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Liaises and collaborates with relevant staff from across the Institute;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate degree in political science, gender studies or public policy;
- Minimum 8 years of experience in the field of gender and democracy;
- Ability to operate Microsoft Office package.
Terms of Contract:
Two (2) Year Fixed Term Appointment. Salary entry point TND 4 807 per month.
Deadline for Applications:
Applications should be submitted online no later than 19 April 2015
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Please note that this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Tunisia.