In today’s globalizing world, there is growing emphasis on local democracy. More than ever, cities need new ideas for ways of managing the political challenges and opportunities that arise from increased urbanization and globalization. Governing effectively at the local level is all the more urgent as vigorous local civic engagement builds the foundation for a strong and more enduring national-level democracy.
Organized in six chapters and written by experts from around the world, this International IDEA Handbook offers:
- Practical suggestions for designing systems of local governance
- Principles and policies for managing culturally diverse cities
- Choices for enhancing local elections and representative democracy
- Options for expanding citizen participation
- Recommendations for the international community for enhancing local democracy